Saturday, July 9, 2011

New Exercise Philosophy Part 1

I am continually tweaking and modifying how I exercise and try to get in shape.  One thing that hit me recently, was a weight loss show where a girl exercised 4 hours a day but didn't eat healthy and she only lost 3 lbs in 3 months!  That was huge compared to how much she had been losing when she ate healthy.

I recently discovered and AWESOME app that goes along with eating healthy. It is called my fitness pal, and it is basically a calorie counter.  You put in your age, weight, activity level, ideal weight, and how fast you would like to lose the weight, and it tells you how many calories you can eat each day.  It even gives you more calories to eat on the days you exercise. The amazing part is the database on this app. You can scan in the bar code of whatever you are eating and the put in your servings. You can do a search on that food and it has probably every brand out there - kroger, western family, you name it. It even had our local salsa company in its database.  It also has homemade versions for calories and you can put in a recipe of something you eat a lot of, and it will tell you how many calories a serving is (I did it will my homemade granola).  I took Katelyn to IHOP one day and it even had my IHOP strawberry danish crepes in the database.  WOW!!!

I lost 2 lbs the first week, and that was more than my goal!  It is all about portion control and it really helped me realize how many calories are in the junk food I eat.  (Clark happened to make a huge pan of Texas sheet cake and this little app helped me have the will power to resist even that at 450 calories per 4" square). I realized I could eat a tiny piece of cake and be hungry later, or I could eat lots and lots of fruits and vegetables and feel great. I am not still trying to lose weight, but I love this just to maintain and be aware of what I am eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment